CAUSE OF ADULT ACNE + TEEN ACNE?
The question is, what are the causes of Adult Acne and Teen Acne? The quotes like “You will never be this young again” and “Remember when you prayed for what you have now” reflect how quickly time passes, and how quickly we age. I will also look at Comedonal Acne and its treatment in this post.
As we age, our needs for skincare increases. It is not ideal for adults to use the same products as teenagers when making it a cure for their Acne.
Adults nowadays start to worry about their skin because they realise that skin ageing affects them. As we get older, our smiles lines become deeper and more pronounced. As we age, we produce less collagen and elastin, which makes the skin sag.
As a result, our skin gets drier. The moisture barrier gets breached as the years pass by. As a result, skin becomes more susceptible to harm. The sun’s UV rays activate your natural defence, causing sunspots and skin ageing.
Table of Contents
What Are The Causes Of Adult Acne And Teen Acne?
Luckily, we can address the visible signs of ageing and adult acne’s complexities with the right skincare Regimen. And since 40% of adults have some form of Acne, they have to pay attention to both Acne and their other concerns, like fine lines, wrinkles, loss of firmness and elasticity, and discolouration.
What Is The Science of Acne?
Here is some excellent information regarding the physiology of Acne and how it works.
- Acne can result from blocked pores. With an overproduction of dead skin cells, clogged pores can result.
- Pores are tiny openings in the skin that release both sweat and oil. Your skin gets plugged up, which results in blackheads, whiteheads and Acne.
- Rodan Fields testing found that the lack of oxygen in blocked pores prompts acne bacteria, called C. skin disorder. Causing inflamed bumps.
- Each of the pores on your skin consists of micro-organisms.
- So your skin pores naturally host a plethora of bacteria that keep your skin healthy.
- When hormonal changes cause the skins to produce a thick, sticky oil, it clogs up the pores and prevents oxygen from going in. Bacteria tends to become in a rage when deprived of oxygen.
- Causing inflammation, which eventually leads to breakouts. Excited, aren’t you?
How is Adult Acne Different to Teen Acne?
What Are The Causes Of Adult Acne?
The causes of Adult Acne is more due to cyclical levels of hormones, especially in women. It often appears around the jawline, mouth and chin area (U-Zone). Your cells turn over slows as we age, and over time this can lead to clogged pores.
We all want to believe that as we hit our twenties, we will get over our Acne? We are finding that living in a world with such a quick pace can stress our adult skin. The outcomes are that we might see more adults with Acne, skin that is congested with an uneven skin tone. We are also aware that with maturity comes a slowing down of the rate our skin cell regeneration.
It comes down to genetics, stress, hormones, and diet. Be aware that Acne is a recurrent, complex condition that Dermatologist in 2021 cannot cure. You cannot cure this skin condition, but you can do something about it. We’ll start with the types of hormonal Acne.
Information Provided is to help explain why post-breakout marks stay around a lot longer than they used to.
We are aware that the leading causes of adult acne are hormones and stress among women. Red zones tend to be hypersensitive and mainly located around the mouth, chin and jawline. Treating severe acne in adults can be quite challenging – See Acne Face Mapping.
A free 30 Min Skincare Consultation Online
How Do You Clear And Treat Causes Of Adult Acne?
- Focus on problem areas, and take care to balance the rest of your skin, addressing any other skin care needs you may have.
- We have to watch Dr Pimple Popper but please avoid any “picking” or “squeezing” breakouts at home. Picking and popping can result in scarring, increase future flareups and redness. If you have concerns, I will always recommend seeing a Dr or a professional skincare therapist about an extraction.
- Your skin ability to retain moisture diminishes with ageing. The best way to avoid over-exfoliation is by choosing products that contain less harsh ingredients such as Salicylic Acid, Glycolic Acid, Thymol, and Terpineol to control bacteria.
- If you are combating skin ageing signs, you need to look out for Niacinamide and Hexylresorcinol ingredients to balance uneven skin tone. Retinol, a wrinkle-smoothing ingredient, will also help reduce premature ageing.
My Pro Tip - For Treating Causes Of Adult Acne
Rodan Fields UNBLEMISH Regimen has been reformulated to address causes of adult acne and the visible signs of ageing, treating two skin concerns in one regimen.
- Rodan Fields four-step Regimen gently and effectively helps clear Acne and prevents future blemishes.
- Simultaneously, it visibly smooths, firms and improves the appearance of uneven skin tone for clearer, healthier, younger-looking skin.
- The Doctors discovered a way to stabilise and solubilise a new Acne compound, allowing it to be used effectively without increasing potential side effects such as irritation.
- These component are delivered uniquely in the Rodan Fields Unblemish and RF Spotless formulations.
What Is the Unblemished Regimen Ingredients?
Benzoyl Peroxide + Salicylic Acid
Doctors recommend a combination of Benzoyl Peroxide plus Salicylic Acid for the treatment of Acne. Rodan Fields UNBLEMISH skincare products specially formulated with both ingredients designed for adult acne-affected skins.
The UNBLEMISH regimen products prevent the formation of new pimples and other blemishes, help control clogged pores, and reduce Acne’s visible redness caused by Acne.
The daily moisturiser contains moisturisers and improved exfoliating agents to keep skin supple and healthy. This multi-tasking approach of skincare ingredients leaves adults with Acne, looking and feeling clear and confident.
The UNBLEMISH Regimen includes four products that are formulated to work together to clear adult acne by exfoliation + visibly improve signs of ageing. Remove dirt, oil + impurities to clear and prevent future breakouts. Plus, moisturise + smooth your complexion to improve the appearance of fine lines + enlarged pores. With daily use, get your healthiest-looking complexion in four simple steps.
The UNBLEMISH Regimen Includes:
UNBLEMISH Refining Acne Wash (125 mL / 4.2 Fl. Oz. U.S.)
Clear clogged pores plus remove excess oil + impurities with our gentle, creamy cleanser formulated with Salicylic Acid +Colloidal Sulfur
UNBLEMISH Clarifying Toner (125 mL / 4.2 Fl. Oz. U.S.)
Exfoliate, calm + visibly firm skin with our moisturising, brightening toner
UNBLEMISH Dual Intensive Acne Treatment (2 x 22.5mL / 0.76 Fl. Oz. U.S.)
Clear + prevent breakouts while calming the appearance of redness, and visibly plumping skin with our dual-chamber formula
UNBLEMISH Invisible Matte Defense Broad Spectrum SPF 15 (30 mL / 1 Fl. Oz. U.S.)
Mattifying lotion helps protect skin from UV rays that intensify the appearance of acne scars + ageing without clogging pores with our weightless, clear formula.
Is Retinol Good For Adult Acne?
Retinol though it is essential to target Acne and visually apparent ageing to fight the causes of adult acne. In most cases, you need to improve the moisturiser’s quality alongside benzoyl peroxide and address skin ageing.
You might want to try out the vitamin A derivatives called retinoids in your nighttime routine. Dermatologists often use skincare ingredients used to combat Acne and help you look younger.
Retinoids in skincare are also available without a prescription, like those found in Rodan Fields Redefine Intensive Renewing Serum. A nighttime product that augments your own skin’s renewal process. The dosage of the serum gradually diminished to maximise the potency but minimise the potential for skin irritation. Its little capsule is the perfect size for travel.
What Are The Causes Of Teen Acne?
So your teen acne will be partially genetic and mainly related to puberty and adolescence. You will commonly usually breakout on the face, chest and back. Oily breakouts often occur as male hormones, which include both boys and girls, rise during adolescence. See Teen Acne Face Mapping
As a teen, you have a considerably faster cellular turnover rate, which means that you recover faster from skin eruptions. As you get older, with your hormones balancing out, you usually will see a reduction in face breakouts.
What is Acne Vulgaris?
Commonly known as pimples, zits or spots or common Acne.
Acne is a common skin condition. The hair follicle becomes blocked, or the oil gland is inflamed. These areas have more oil factories.
Besides Acne, acne vulgaris can also bring about other skin conditions.
The negative side of Acne can sometimes take the form of low self-esteem and social and sporting withdrawal. It is essential to discuss this with your doctor if it is happening to you or feeling down a lot of the time.
Some females may have polycystic ovarian syndrome as part of their condition (PCOS). Other than excessive androgen production, different types of hormonal disorders should be taken into consideration as well.
How Do I Clear My Teen Acne?
- Pay attention to your skin’s health because you are prone to developing from Acne in the future.
- Avoid pore-clogging ingredients like lanolin and mineral oil in your product. Use of alcohol in astringent toners will produce more oil on the skin, causing more Acne. Artificial fragrances and colours can contribute to irritated, open skin.
- Try using ingredients like Salicylic Acid to keep dead skin cells and bacteria at bay.
- It is advisable to moisturise and wear SPF daily. Dehydration and environmental stress can trigger existing pimples to look worse. Even if your skin seems oily, it is still advisable to use an oil-free SPF moisturiser to protect your skin. Look for a noncomedomal SPF Sun Cream.
- If you are in your mid-twenties and want to address skin ageing signs, look out for ingredients like to balance uneven skin tone, Rodan Fields has skincare once your Acne has cleared up. Retinol, a wrinkle-smoothing ingredient, will also help reduce premature ageing.
My Pro Tip - For Treating Teen Acne
INTRODUCING THE FUTURE OF DERMATOLOGY-INSPIRED ACNE CARE
So, it makes sense that teens and adults should take care of their Acne — and their skin in general — differently. Rodan + Fields has introduced two new acne-fighting Regimens, one for each group.
Rodan Fields SPOTLESS Regimen is specifically designed for teens and young adults. SPOTLESS delivers more oxygen and Benzoyl Peroxide deeper to the pores to kill acne bacteria starting Day 1. It also reduces the appearance of oiliness and shine. And it’s just two steps, so it’s easy to use — a good thing for teens and young adults.
Is It Worth It To Go To A Dermatologist For Teen Acne?
For teens with mild to moderate Acne, usually, those using the Dermatologist Inspired Spotless 2 Step Teen Acne treatment. If, however, you still fail to notice any improvement, it would be prudent to consult a dermatologist. …
Consult a doctor if your teenager acne condition isn’t responding to Spotless.
What Are Causes OfAdult Acne In Males?
For most people, hormonal changes can lead to acne breakouts. These oils can encourage pore-clogging bacteria, contributing to acne inflammation. These problems can cause damage.
Those who have a father who had severe Acne are prone to having Acne. Men on medications such as Lithium and corticosteroids will also see an increase in Acne.
Male Adult Acne Causes
Men are often affected by Acne on the face and back. Sweating will make your situation worse. It happens a lot during hot weather, or after a workout. They’re definitely on your face.
Steroid acne presents the same symptoms of traditional Acne, including pimples. In some cases, steroid usage is the cause of the affliction. We are yet to discover why steroids can cause Acne.
Both prescription steroids and bodybuilding anabolic steroids can lead to Acne. Steroid use may also develop other medical conditions.
Like the more common types of Acne, teenagers and adults can develop a form of steroid acne. By taking steroids regularly, people of any age can be affected.
Injectable, inhaled, or oral steroids will cause steroid acne. The main reasons include:
What Are The Types Of Steroid Acne?
- Acne vulgaris a common type of Acne, and its appearance usually indicates a tendency towards the disease.
- Malassezia folliculitis is a fungal infection in the hair follicles. According to 75% to 98% of people have this kind of fungus on their skin. 3 Acne is the most common type of Acne on the chest and trunk.
Does Taking Steroids Cause Comedonal Acne?
Corticosteroids, and especially prednisone, are frequently prescribed to treat many inflammatory conditions (IBD). If a Dr prescribes you steroid medications, you can develop Acne’s most common form named “steroid acne.”.
Adult Acne Causes
People with Crohn’s disease (a form of inflammatory bowel disease, commonly known as IBD) often do not discuss Acne with their healthcare providers. The steroid Prednisone can maintain the control of irritable bowel and keep IBD flares under control.
Anyone who faces prednisone’s side effects should consult a gastroenterologist or a dermatologist with experience in treating people with ileitis.
Understandably, your Acne during treatment may be challenging to live with; the Acne will clear up when you taper down off the steroids.
Acne treatment can assist in improving the complexion until you complete the prednisone treatment. Your Acne can have an undesirable effect on personal life, so start treating it with Over the counter medication such as Spotless for teens, young adults, or Unblemish for Men.
Will Using Anabolic Steroids | Bodybuilding Steroids Cause Acne?
A person who uses anabolic steroids can develop acne problems.
One study has suggested that approximately 50% of people who use anabolic steroids for bodybuilding and muscle building suffer from steroid acne.
How Do You Get Rid Of Acne From steroids Treatment?
Million-dollar question. Here comes the million-dollar answer: it is not easy. I’ll give you my tried and accurate methods.
Benzoyl peroxide and salicylic Acid
A standard solution that does not require a prescription is benzoyl peroxide. Remember your Acne has over the counter solutions such as Unblemished Regimen which has four steps to use twice daily.
- Benzoyl peroxide is a potent antiseptic for all Acne including comedonal acne. Used for lesser and mild to moderate cases can be used with oral antibiotics in more severe cases.
- Salicylic Acid is an excellent anti-acne treatment when it combines with benzoyl peroxide.
- Both of these ingredients are in Rodan Fields Unblemish Regimen.
- The routine of daily washing and making sure the skin is clean, and the sebaceous gland outputs reduction will prevent any acne from occurring and other Acne from becoming massive, is essential for treating your Male Acne.
You are applying treatment to your face, chest, or neck, depending on where they have noticed the outbreak – Acne Face Mapping article.
- You could also incorporate a topical retinoid in the evening. Rodan Fields has the Redefine Intensive Renewing Serum to use before bed. Retinoids are one of the first-line treatment for Acne.
- Erythromycin and another topical zit fighters topically applied to the area and will do a pretty good job depending on the severity.
- retin a cream will work on minor outbreaks. it can irritate the skin but also has benefits as a wrinkle eraser
- Accutane works and is a prescription-only medication with serious side effects. Your Dr will probably ask for some blood work to be done. The side effects have its downsides and may be off-putting for many people and rightfully so.
- Antibiotics like doxycycline tetracycline, erythromycin, Trimethoprim, Cotrimoxazole will also do an excellent job.
- Cortisone shot directly into the offensive little zit by a dermatologist will make the little bastard disappear. It is not cheap but will work almost within hours to make the zit disappear.
Oral antibiotics commonly prescribed for moderate to severe Acne may include:
If I have left out a method, please let me know but as far as I can remember these are the methods that work and have been tried by yours honestly.
Why Should I Use Retinoids For Acne?
- Topical retinoids are an essential treatment option for Acne. Topical retinoids are the most important tools to treat Acne in many cases. Rodan Fields Redefine Intensive Renewing Serum contains Retinoids.
- Even the topical retinoids, such as adapalene 0.1 per cent (Differin), can be used at home.
- Retinoids are a class of vitamin A available in the form of creams, lotions, and ointments.
- When you apply these products to the skin, you can prevent Acne. However, you have to use the medication regularly for several months before seeing any improvements.
- Women who are pregnant or breastfeeding should consult their Dr.
Do Antibiotics Work For Treating Acne?
A doctor sometimes prescribes oral antibiotics or topical antibiotics to treat steroid acne and prevent scarring. Antibiotics treatments will take several weeks to be effective.
Antibiotics are not so much a permanent solution for Acne.
What is Comedonal Acne?
Comedones are flesh-coloured bumps that usually develop at the chin. Both blackheads and whiteheads are forms of primary Acne. Some of the very tiny ones and some considered “giant ones”.
You can detect a comedo if you run your finger across one lesion. Unlike typical pimples that are red and inflamed, comedones, are not tender and are barely visible.
When most papules or pustules are on the face, it’s called comedonal Acne. Your face is one of the most prominent places for this condition.
What Are The Types of Comedonal Acne?
“Comedones” occur when your hair follicles block with fat cells and dead skin cells. It will vary from individual to individual.
Here’s a representation of the types of comedones and their origins:
- Open comedones look like small black-brown balls on the skin. When your skin produces excess oil and is not removing the oil regularly, it builds upon pores and clogs the pores. Melanin will cause discolouration in the oil when it reacts with oxygen, altering the skin colour.
- Closed comedones, also known as whiteheads, are open oil patches underneath hair follicles. Their skin colour is flesh-toned or white in colour.
- Microcomedones cannot be seen to the naked eye, and an unsightly scar will form over time.
- Macrocomedones are noticeable bumps that appear on the face because of excessive oil production.
- The giant comedo is enormous, significant and noticeable on old adults.
- Senile or solar comedones appear after prolonged exposure to UV rays. These spots can appear in senior citizens and vary in size and colour.
What Are The Causes Comedonal Acne?
- A Diet High In Dairy Consumption.
- A diet that consists of a high content of fat and sugar.
- Over-hydration of skin is a concern because of the use of the wrong moisturiser.
- Hot, humid Temperatures
- Some lasers or chemical peels.
- “picking” or “popping” skin because of comedones.
What are the Symptoms of Comedonal Acne?
Comedonal Acne isn’t typically painful. The small bumps come in a few colours and sizes, depending on where the plug occurred and the pore’s size.
Unlike those on the skin’s surface, Acne can not be popped and are not red or inflamed.
Comedocoea is barely visible and feels like a tiny bump if you run your fingers over it.
What Are The Treatments For Comedonal Acne?
Conventional treatments are available over-the-counter as well, such as Rodan Fields Spotless or Unblemish Skincare Treatment.
You apply the topical treatments to the affected area.
OTC topical Rodan Fields Skincare Contain:
- Retinoids, such as vitamin A, are essential for skin cells.
- It helps to remove sebum and other trapped bacteria from the pores.
- Benzoyl peroxide: Kills micro-organisms inside pores, which prevents pore blockage.
- Glycolic Acid will remove the top layer of your dead skin cells to prevent clogged pores.
- Azelaic Acid is commonly used for skin discolouration because it has anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties.
Drs can prescribe Antibiotics to fight bacteria that get trapped inside pores. Drs can also perform surgical procedures to treat your comedonal Acne. This procedure done in the Dr Surgery will open and remove comedones in those severe cases.
What Are Some Acne Myths?
Unfortunately, these factors don’t affect the appearance of Acne.
- Chocolate and fried foods Eating chocolate or greasy food will not significantly affect Acne.
- Cosmetics. Makeup shouldn’t worsen Acne, primarily if you use non-comedogenic makeup and take it off each night. If you are wanting to you a non-comedonal tinted moisturiser consider the Rodan Fields Radiant Defense, it comes in 10 shades for all skin tones.
- Almost 7 out of 10 people believe that Radiant Defense is better than makeup.
What Is The Best Treatment For Adult Acne Scarring?
Answer From Lawrence E. Gibson, M.D.
Acne scars are stubborn, and there is no single treatment for everyone. There are multiple approaches to a scar treatment; depending on your type of scar, your skin’s health condition, and scarring severity.
- Home facial care. Including sunscreen in your routine will limit the visibility of your scars. Some anti-pimple creams, like azelaic Acid and hydroxy acids, might also help.
- Facial fillers Collagen, fat or other substances may be injected under the skin to rejuvenate or re-plump the skin contours. You aim for the treatment is to make the scars less visible. Over time, the effectiveness will wear off, so additional treatments are needed. This method has a minor risk of changing skin colour.
- Steroid therapy. Some of your scarrings may see a benefit in having by injecting steroids into it.
- Resurfacing. Creams have become increasingly popular over the years and are even more accessible now than ever before. This technique is dangerous for people who have a dark past.
- With alternative energy. Pulsed light sources and radiofrequency devices help create less noticeable scars without scratching the surface of the skin. You might need to repeat therapy more than once to feel improvements.
- Dermaplaning This procedure is suitable for those who have severe acne scars. Your doctor removes the top layer of your skin with a rapid moving mechanism. Your skin will show improvement; though open facial scarring may be reduced visibility than the older skin scaring. Potential side effects include scarring and changes in skin colour, possibly permanent.
- Chemical exfoliation. Your doctor treats the wound by using a chemical solution to the tissue damage. You can repeat mild and medium peels periodically to maintain results. You can only have one session of facial peel. Side effects may include changes in skin colour, especially if the patient has had deep peels performed.
- Skin piercing. Your doctor uses a low-level device to stimulate collagen regeneration in the underlying tissue from 0.2mm to 0.5mm. A perfect, natural treatment for acne scars. There is less risk of discolouration of the skin. The benefits are small, and you will have to have repeated treatments.
- Surgery: Your doctor may recommend using a procedure called punch excision that involves cutting out individual acne scars and making small incisions to repair the wound. Your doctor will insert the needle into your skin and surgically removing part of your scar tissue.
- Botox (Botox). Sometimes, a pucker can form around the area around the acne scars. Botox may make wrinkles better. Over time, the effectiveness will wear off, so additional treatments are needed.
Though you can’t change everything that time does (should that not be another inspirational quote?), you can address the causes of adult acne and teens acne concerns, also finding solutions for the visible signs of ageing, at any age.
Proper skin care is key to keeping acne-prone skin clear and acne-free.
An essential thing in Acne is to have a daily routine with your skincare and mediation. Consistency Stick to skincare regime to make it work. When caring for mild Acne, one can use gentle cleansers, moisturisers and sunblock.
Need More Advice?
Book a Zoom Appointment for advice on what might be causing your breakouts and how to achieve clear skin.
Independent ロダン アンド フィールズ 日本 Consultant Number 74526520
Tel: +61 – 411 597 018
Tokyo | Yokohama | Osaka | Nagoya | Sapporo | Kobe Fukuoka | Kawasaki | Kyoto | Saitama
USA | AUSTRALIA | CANADA